Thursday, February 24, 2011

Black winter day

So I've woken up in the middle of the night, I should be sleeping since I have work early tomorrow but... I'll do it later :P I turned on the TV and the news headlines have grabbed my attention; "Death toll in Christchurch may reach 100". Searching news.com.au an instantaneous surge of solemn emotions well up from seeing "GRIM TASK: SURVIVAL HOPES FADE". As we pray for ourselves in times that aren't plagued by a crisis (for others), we often forget or overlook others that aren't so fortunate themselves. Is ignorance excusable or is it condemnable?

Ask yourself, "how often do I feel like I'm suffering?" or "how often do I wish that things were better/different?". As we toll away at our regular lives we are so thoroughly engrossed in the minuscule details of what's required (microwave my rice for 2mins 30, remember to take out the trash), ie: we become self-absorbed. Don't get me wrong, it is YOUR life, but very often we don't remember about others that are less fortunate and but do for the man in the mirror.

The saying "so glad that's not me" is thrown around quite often and then we just leave the situation be and return to our own self-concern. You are NOT ALONE, whether it be in the loss of a loved one, finances going into ruin or injuring yourself, you all just want the pain to stop. Grief is not a quick process and as such you can't reduce it with shortcuts despite some people recovering sooner than others. Conversely we ask, are the stragglers caught up with false guilt or do others deal with it more efficiently?

Whatever the reason, we can take delight in knowing that you aren't alone, not in the sense that I mentioned before but rather that we have many that care for us; God, friends, family. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. (Psalm 91:4) Is it reasonable (or audacious) however, to think that the suffering goes away or that it gets easier?

We should also take delight in knowing that we are weak, if not then why would you need help when you are strong? But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:9) To certain degrees, suffering makes select things difficult and brusque. Putting all your faith in God is certainly true for the former and it certainly makes regular life true for the latter. It is for those reasons that we need to deal with adversity one hour at a time, one day at a time; not forgetting that there are other ways which seem relatively innocuous when we aren't suffering (such as drinking with friends).

Bed time,
Ah Wiwless.

Please remember:
- The people in Christchurch
- The people in Libya
- Your friends and peers
- Your family
- Be thankful for what you have

I'm thoughtful and kind, but I'm evil alas
But everything I love has turned to a tedious task
I feel that life a waiting game for people to pass
But nobody ever want you to see through the mask

No comments: