Sunday, November 8, 2009

Over there they die from what we buy from drugs

I was reading through the news the other day and there was a section about soccer riots. It made me wonder, some of my friends talk day in day out about soccer and I'd remember in high school when their talks would get heated. Then whenever I said that the sport was shit, they'd make a come back saying "soccer is the world game!". I agree that it is a good sport, it brings people together... but what of all the negativity surrounding it?

- 1994: Andres Escobar; Colombian defender assassinated over own goal
- 2006 Italian game riggin scandal
- Bulgarian soccer players expelled for homosexual activity (I actually lol'd at this)
- COUNTLESS soccer riots over years

Again, with the cryptic posts. Where am I going with this?! To put it in laymen terms; when things get too big, they also get bad. If you've ever heard of "too much of a good thing is a bad thing" then you know exactly what I'm talking about. Should we concerned when something we love gets too much exposure? Of course, because there are always going to be people that abuse the shit out of it. Should we be concerned when too many people start attending the concert of your favourite rapper? Of course, because then people misconstrue their image.

Another example would be the broncos vs dragons game that I went to a couple weeks ago. A fight occurred in the crowd between a broncos and a dragons fan, in this case the dragons fan did nothing wrong but rather he was provoked. I'm a broncos fan and the brawl did entertain me but I felt like the dragons fan was hard done by. The point in this case was that the broncos fan that provoked the guy was a dickhead for doing so; why did something everyone in the stadium love so much have to attract such negativity? Why can't people enjoy something in peace without it going the wrong way?

To quote a man in his lyrics "Good morning, this aint vietnam, still, people lose hands, arms and legs for real"

1 comment: